Netanyahu seeks pardon amid ongoing corruption trial

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (Photograph: Nathan Howard / POOL / AFP)
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who is currently on trial for corruption, announced on Sunday that he had formally requested a presidential pardon, citing the long-running proceedings as tearing the country apart.

Earlier this month, US President Donald Trump wrote to Israeli President Isaac Herzog urging him to pardon Netanyahu, who has consistently denied any wrongdoing.

In a video statement, Netanyahu said, “The trial in my case has been ongoing for nearly six years and is expected to continue for many more. I wanted to see the process through until acquittal, but the security and political reality—the national interest—dictate otherwise. The continuation of the trial is tearing us apart from within, intensifying divisions.”

Netanyahu and his wife, Sara, face multiple charges, including allegedly accepting luxury gifts worth over $260,000 from wealthy benefactors in exchange for political favors and attempting to secure favorable media coverage.

An “extraordinary request”

Netanyahu said that the requirement for him to testify three times a week had become “an impossible burden,” arguing that ending the trial would help calm societal tensions and promote reconciliation. His pardon request was accompanied by a 111-page letter from his lawyers, which did not admit guilt. Herzog’s office confirmed receipt, noting that it is “an extraordinary request which carries significant implications” and that it would be considered carefully.

Legal experts say the request, submitted shortly after Trump’s letter, is a calculated move. If granted, it could face Supreme Court challenges, potentially prolonging the legal process. Under Israeli law, a pardon can only be granted to a convicted individual, meaning Netanyahu’s request raises complex legal questions.

Opposition leaders have condemned the move. Yair Lapid insisted that any pardon should be contingent on an admission of guilt, remorse, and withdrawal from politics, while left-wing politician Yair Golan said, “Only the guilty seek pardon.”

Support and opposition

Netanyahu has received backing from senior ministers. Defence Minister Israel Katz said a pardon would heal “the deep rift that has accompanied Israeli society for nearly a decade,” while Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich claimed Netanyahu had been “persecuted by a corrupt judicial system that fabricated political cases against him.”

The pardon request has sparked widespread protests. Demonstrators gathered outside Herzog’s residence in Tel Aviv, warning that granting it could undermine Israel’s democracy. Anti-government activist Shikma Bressler said, “Netanyahu is trying to destroy the judicial system, and because it’s not happening fast enough, now he’s approaching the president.”

Netanyahu, Israel’s longest-serving premier with over 18 years in office across three terms, remains a dominant figure in Israeli politics and intends to contest the next election, expected by the end of 2026.