Residents of Kano protests over Court of Appeal ruling

Despite the warning by police authorities, residents of Kano State, yesterday, took to the streets of Kano city and environs denouncing the recent judgment of the Court of Appeal sacking Governor Abba Yusuf.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that uneasy calm pervaded the state capital following a contradictory Certified True Copy (CTC) of the appellate court that affirmed the prayers of both the appellant and the respondent in the contentious governorship contest.

In what appeared like a coordinated action, yesterday, crowd of protesters stormed strategic positions causing hiccups on commercial activities.

The Kano/Zaria road, Maiduguri road by Muhammadu Buhari Interchange, and Kantin Kwari (Kano textile market) were taken over by hundreds of youths, who called for justice for Governor Abba Yusuf of the New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP).

The protest came on the heels of warning by the police against any protest.
Kano State Police Command had urged residents to ignore calls for the closure of markets and street protests over the Court of Appeal judgment that sacked Governor Yusuf.

The Commissioner of Police (CP), Hussein Gumel, had, at a news briefing in Kano, yesterday, warned that the command would deal with anybody or group that foments trouble.

According to him, the command received intelligence over plans by some unpatriotic citizens to foment trouble under the guise of gathering to offer special prayers.

“It was also brought to our notice that some people were circulating letters on the social media calling for the closure of markets and other commercial activities in the state,” he added.

News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) quoted Gumel as saying that the same group of people was trying to begin the use of social media to send negative “and poisonous” messages against police and other security agencies on the ongoing peace efforts in the state.

He appealed to residents not to hesitate to report any person or group found circulating any form of information that could cause violence to the nearest security outfits “for prompt action.”

However, normalcy had since returned to the city after the peaceful protest that lasted several hours.