Uganda has confirmed three additional Ebola cases, bringing the total number of infections in the ongoing outbreak to five since it was first detected in the country on May 15.
In a statement on Saturday, the Ministry of Health said the new cases include a Ugandan driver, a health worker, and a woman from neighbouring Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), the epicentre of a deadly outbreak that has raised regional concern.
“Three new cases of the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) have been confirmed in the country,” the ministry said, adding that it is strengthening surveillance, case management, contact tracing, and public awareness efforts to contain the spread and safeguard public health.
The announcement came a day after the World Health Organization raised the risk level of the outbreak in the DRC to its highest classification.
Earlier on Thursday, Uganda suspended public transport links with the DRC following the confirmation of two Ebola cases — including one death — involving Congolese nationals who had crossed the border.
The government says it is working to contain the outbreak and prevent further cross-border transmission.
AFP


