ICPC confirms El-Rufai in custody over ongoing probe

Former Governor of Kaduna State, Nasir El-Rufai
The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) on Wednesday confirmed that former Kaduna State Governor Nasir El-Rufai is in its custody as part of an ongoing investigation.

ICPC’s Head of Media and Public Communications, John Odey, said El-Rufai was in the Commission’s custody as of the close of work on Wednesday, February 18, 2026.

“The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) writes to state that Malam Nasiru El-Rufai, former Governor of Kaduna State, is in our custody as of the close of work today, Wednesday, 18 February 2026. He is in custody in connection with ongoing investigations,” the Commission said in a statement.

The ICPC did not provide further details on the nature of the case.

Background

El-Rufai’s arrest follows a series of allegations and prior engagements with Nigerian anti-corruption agencies. On Friday last week, he confirmed on X that he had received an invitation from the ICPC to report to their office.

“Yesterday, after the futile attempt to abduct me, the ICPC delivered a letter inviting me to their office. My lawyer has confirmed that I will attend on Wednesday, 18 February 2026,” he wrote.

Three days prior, El-Rufai had visited the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) headquarters in Abuja over allegations of financial improprieties during his tenure as governor from 2015 to 2023.

Two years ago, the Kaduna State House of Assembly indicted him for alleged diversion of ₦423 billion in public funds and money laundering, urging anti-corruption agencies to investigate.

Additional allegations

Reports also emerged that security operatives attempted to arrest El-Rufai upon his return from Cairo, Egypt. The former APC chieftain claimed that the National Security Adviser (NSA), Nuhu Ribadu’s phone had been “wiretapped,” allowing him to overhear instructions for his arrest.

The Department of State Services (DSS) subsequently filed charges against El-Rufai for allegedly intercepting the NSA’s communications, failing to report knowledge of another person’s unlawful interception, and using technical equipment or systems in a way that compromised public safety and national security, in contravention of Nigerian Cybercrimes and Communications laws.

No date has yet been set for El-Rufai’s arraignment.