A bride-to-be and her bridesmaid were abducted by suspected bandits in a fresh raid on Chacho village, Wurno Local Government Area of Sokoto State, early Sunday morning.
The attack occurred around 1:30 a.m. when armed men stormed the community, abducting the bride, her close friend, and eight other residents. All the victims are women except for one man. One person sustained injuries and is receiving medical attention.
Residents told reporters that the bride had been preparing for her wedding, scheduled for later in the day, when the attackers struck. A community member, who asked not to be named, described the incident as “tragic” and said villagers were frustrated by the delayed arrival of security forces, which reportedly came about an hour after the gunmen had fled.
“We are calling on the government to take its responsibility seriously and protect the lives and property of citizens,” he added.
Sokoto State Police Command spokesman DSP Ahmad Rufa’i confirmed the attack, stating that preliminary information had been received and further details were being compiled.
This incident is the latest in a spate of mass abductions across Nigeria. Earlier on Sunday, gunmen attacked a church in Ejiba, Yagba West Local Government Area of Kogi State, abducting a pastor, his wife, and several church members during Sunday service.
Witnesses said worshippers fled in panic as gunshots rang out, leaving the community in chaos.


